The iPhone XR is one of Apple’s latest smartphones, offering a more affordable option compared to premium models while still packing great features. Launched in 2018, it has an edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display, powerful A12 Bionic chip, advanced camera capabilities, and all-day battery life.
An Overview of the iPhone XR’s Key Features and Specs
The iPhone XR balances functionality with affordability. Here is an overview of some of its standout qualities before diving into more detail:
- Display: 6.1-inch LCD Liquid Retina display with 1792×828 resolution, 326ppi density, 1400:1 contrast ratio
- Camera: Single 12MP rear wide-angle camera with f/1.8 aperture and digital zoom up to 5x, 7MP front TrueDepth camera
- Chip: Apple A12 Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine and M12 coprocessor
- Battery Life: Up to 15 hours video playback, with fast-charge support
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB options
- Durability: Aerospace-grade aluminum and glass design, water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Connections: Gigabit-class LTE, Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC
- Other Features: Face ID, stereo speakers, wireless charging support
Display and Design
The iPhone XR features an edge-to-edge 6.1-inch LCD screen with a notch for the front-facing camera. Dubbed a “Liquid Retina” display, it uses Apple’s advanced LCD technology to offer stunning images with accurate and impressive color reproduction.
With a resolution of 1792×828 pixels and pixel density of 326ppi, images and video look sharp and clear. The 1400:1 contrast ratio also ensures blacks look true and highlights shimmer.
The phone chassis uses an aerospace-grade 7000 series aluminum frame paired with glass on both front and back for sleek durability. Offering water resistance up to 1 meter deep for 30 minutes, the XR meets IP67 standards to protect against splashes and spills.
Weighing in at 6.84 oz with a depth of 0.33 inches, the iPhone XR is comfortable to hold one-handed. It comes in 6 stylish color choices as well: black, white, blue, yellow, coral and Product Red.
While the iPhone XR has a single rear camera compared to dual or triple cameras on higher-end models, it still takes fantastic shots courtesy of a state-of-the-art 12MP sensor with an f/1.8 wide-angle lens.
Key camera features and specs include:
- 12MP camera with 1.4μm pixels and f/1.8 aperture
- Optical image stabilization (OIS)
- Six‐element lens
- Quad-LED True Tone flash
- Panorama shots up to 63MP
- Auto HDR for photos
- 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
- Slow motion and time‐lapse video support
- Burst mode shooting
- Portrait mode with advanced bokeh
- Portrait Lighting with five effects
- Smart HDR for photos
The TrueDepth front camera comes in at 7MP resolution with an f/2.2 aperture, offering excellent quality for selfies, FaceTime video calls and animated emojis.
Chip and Performance
Powering the phone is Apple’s proprietary A12 Bionic chip paired with 3GB of RAM. This chip uses a 7-nanometer design packing 6.9 billion transistors.
- Six-core CPU
- Four-core GPU
- Eight-core Neural Engine capable of 5 trillion operations per second
This beastly processing package delivers extremely fast, fluid performance whether gaming, browsing, multi-tasking or editing media. In fact, its CPU and GPU speeds outpace all rivals for the time while using less power.
The iPhone XR also contains Apple’s latest M12 coprocessor for motion tracking. This works seamlessly with the accelerometer and gyroscope to efficiently track movements for health and fitness apps but with minimal battery drain.
Overall the phone feels instantly responsive thanks to top-shelf hardware working hand-in-hand with Apple’s honed iOS software optimization.
On a full charge, the 2,942 mAh lithium-ion battery holds enough juice to last most users all day long. Rated to offer up to 15 hours of video playback or 65 hours of audio playback per charge, you can count on having a functional phone even with heavy use from morning to night.
The iPhone XR supports fast charging to quickly top up when running low. Using a compatible 18W power adapter and Lightning cable, the phone can gain a 50 percent charge in just 30 minutes. Qi-based wireless charging pads can also replenish at up to 7.5W speeds.
The iPhone XR comes in three storage tier options:
While the 64GB base model offers adequate room for most users’ apps, photos and music libraries, upgrading to 128GB or 256GB allows ample space for videos, movies and games with peace of mind against filling up unused storage.
Each option delivers fast solid-state drive speeds for quick access to cached data and apps. For large media collections or other overflow, cloud services integrate natively to offload less frequently accessed files and archives.
On the connectivity front, the iPhone XR includes:
- Gigabit-class 4G LTE cellular with 2×2 MIMO and LAA support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5 with 2×2 MIMO for up to 433Mbps
- Bluetooth 5.0
- NFC (Near Field Communication)
Gigabit LTE offers the fastest cellular data speeds available, provided your carrier and plan supports it. Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth 5 ensure quick syncing and streaming to accessories and devices.
NFC allows quick pairing to audio gear, payments via Apple Pay and rapidly scanning documents or ID cards. For charging and syncing, the phone uses a Lightning port connector supporting USB 3.1 Gen 2 transfer speeds up to 480Mbps.
For securely unlocking the phone and authenticating app purchases or Apple Pay transactions, the iPhone XR features Face ID facial recognition. This uses infrared and visible light scans to map your facial structure, automatically adapting to appearance changes over time.
Face ID works extremely well for most people, offering strong protection against unwanted access or theft. For additional protection, passcodes can act as a secondary safeguard when desired.
Other Notable Features
- Stereo speakers tuned to offer increased dynamic range and clarity
- Dual SIM options via physical SIM plus eSIM
- Improved water resistance and dust protection (IP67 rating)
- Support for iOS accessibility features like Switch Control and Tap Backs
- Powerful augmented reality capabilities via the phone’s sensors, cameras and motion coprocessors
- Express Cards with Apple Pay allowing prepaid fare card credentials to be added to Apple Wallet for transit
Key Takeaways on iPhone XR Features and Specifications
- Display: Features a 6.1-inch “Liquid Retina” LCD display with rich color reproduction and a compact body with slim bezels
- Camera: Rear 12MP f/1.8 wide-angle camera takes fantastic photos and 4K video. Front 7MP TrueDepth camera great for selfies.
- Performance: Extremely fast A12 Bionic chip with next-gen Neural Engine outpaces rivals while consuming less power
- Battery: Up to 15 hours video playback per charge. Supports Qi wireless and fast charging to 18W.
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB or 256GB capacities provide solid state storage along with external cloud options
- Design: Sleek glass and aluminum chassis is lightweight yet durable including water resistance to 1 meter depth
- Security: Face ID facial recognition system offers secure biometric authentication and Apple Pay transactions
- Connectivity: Gigabit LTE, Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth 5.0 and NFC keep you connected and sharing content quickly
- Features: Stereo speakers, Dual SIM with eSIM support, iOS accessibility options, AR capabilities and more
As shown, the iPhone XR crams a ton of functionality and flair into a relatively affordable package for Apple. Key advantages include a stunning edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display, extremely fast A12 Bionic chip, all-day battery life, ample storage options, durable design and intuitive Face ID biometrics.
While it only has a single rear camera compared to dual or triple lens on pricier models, the 12MP sensor takes fantastic shots aided by a powerful image signal processor. Combined with durable aerospace-grade materials, fun color choices, stereo speakers and iOS features, the iPhone XR appeals to wide range of buyers whether upgrading from older iPhones or switching from Android.
Frequently Asked Questions About the iPhone XR
- How much does the iPhone XR cost?
The iPhone XR originally started at $749 USD in 2018. Now it can be found unlocked for $150 to $350 depending on storage capacity and condition.
- Does the iPhone XR have good battery life?
Yes, the iPhone XR battery life is excellent, lasting around 15 hours of video playback per charge. Fast charging helps refuel quickly as well.
- Is the iPhone XR camera any good?
While having a single lens, the iPhone XR rear camera takes amazing photos and video aided by a powerful image processor and software. It can compete with more expensive dual camera phones.
- Does the iPhone XR work with Qi wireless chargers?
Yes, the glass iPhone XR back allows it to work with universal Qi wireless charging pads and devices.
- How is the iPhone XR display?
With a 6.1-inch LCD Liquid Retina screen, colors and images appear excellent on the iPhone XR with accurate color reproduction and crisp detail.
- Can you use Apple Pay on iPhone XR?
Yes, the iPhone XR supports Apple Pay via Face ID authentication or by entering your passcode for transactions.
- Is iPhone XR good for gaming?
Yes, games perform excellently on iPhone XR thanks to Apple’s powerful A12 Bionic chip with four-core GPU which outperforms most mobile processors.
- Does iPhone XR support portrait mode photos?
Yes, iPhone XR can take portrait photos with background blur (bokeh effect) via its single rear camera paired with advanced software processing.
- Is the iPhone XR waterproof?
While not fully waterproof, the iPhone XR is rated IP67 for water and dust resistance up to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes providing good splash protection.
- How is the iPhone XR in low light conditions?
Low light photos and videos come out nicely on iPhone XR courtesy of optical image stabilization, a wide f/1.8 aperture lens plus noise reduction and multi-image processing.
- Can iPhone XR charge wirelessly?
Yes, iPhone XR supports universal Qi-based wireless charging pads and devices at up to 7.5W speeds. Fast charging to 50% via Lighting cable and 18W power adapter is also supported.
- Does iPhone XR have 3D Touch?
No, iPhone XR uses Haptic Touch instead of 3D Touch to enable contextual menus and actions via pressure-sensitive screen regions. This helps keep costs lower.
- Can you listen to music and charge iPhone XR simultaneously?
Yes, the iPhone XR Lightning connector located on the bottom edge allows transferring data, charging and audio output simultaneously.
- Does iPhone XR come with Ear Pods?
No, unlike older iPhone models, Apple chose not include wired Ear Pod headphones with the iPhone XR to keep costs lower and reduce e-waste from unused accessories.
- Can I use two SIM cards in iPhone XR?
Yes, you can have two active phone lines in iPhone XR at once thanks to support for a physical nano-SIM plus an embedded eSIM allowing flexibility.
- What colors does iPhone XR come in?
iPhone XR is available in Black, White, Blue, Yellow, Coral and (PRODUCT)RED color options, providing fun variety.
- Is iPhone XR smaller than iPhone XS?
Yes, while sharing similar screen sizes, the iPhone XR body is slightly shorter and wider than iPhone XS overall, with rounded corners making it easier to grip.
- How thick is iPhone XR?
Measuring 0.33 inches (8.3 mm) thick, iPhone XR has a thin, lightweight profile making it easy to pocket and hold comfortably.
- Does iPhone XR support two phone numbers?
Yes, the dual SIM capabilities via a physical nano-SIM card and digital eSIM allow two separate phone numbers on iPhone XR with intelligent call/text routing.
- Is iPhone XR scratch resistant?
The glass front and back panels have specialized treatments to resist scratches and scuffs from ordinary use. However, drops onto hard surfaces can still potentially damage its surfaces. Using a case provides additional protection.