The Epson TM-T20II is a popular thermal receipt printer known for its affordability, reliability and ease of use. This printer is commonly used in retail stores, restaurants and other businesses to print receipts and tickets. Installing the TM-T20II is a straightforward process that can be completed in just a few steps.
Unpacking the Printer
When unpacking your new Epson TM-T20II, make sure all components are included:
- TM-T20II printer
- Power switch box
- Power cable
- USB cable
- Setup guide
- Software and documentation CD
Carefully remove each component from the packaging and set aside. Be sure to place the printer on a sturdy, flat surface with adequate ventilation.
There are two cable connections that need to be made between the printer and your computer system:
The TM-T20II printer requires an AC power source.
- Connect the power cable to the power switch box
- Connect the other end into an available electrical outlet
There are two options for connecting the interface cable:
- USB – Plug the USB cable into the back of the printer and connect it to an available USB port on your computer
- Ethernet – Connect an Ethernet cable from the printer to your router/network switch
If using Wi-Fi, you will need to purchase a compatible WiFi adapter.
Installing Drivers and Software
Before printing receipts, you need to install Epson drivers and software:
- Insert the Epson software and documentation CD
- Open the CD folder and double click the Epson Installer file
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install necessary drivers and utilities
Required software includes:
- Epson Standard Printer Drivers: Enables printing from Windows-based applications
- Epson ActiveX Control: Allows usage of Epson advanced functions
- EpsonNet Config: Manages network printer configurations
- Epson Monitoring Tool: Displays printer status and alerts
Optional tools like barcode fonts, OPOSTM printer utility, and customized drivers can also be installed from the CD if needed.
The TM-T20II uses thermal paper rolls that are 3.15 inches wide. To load a new paper roll:
- Press the cover open lever and pull to open the printer cover
- Remove the used paper roll core if one exists
- Insert the paper roll so it unrolls from bottom the top
- Pull out about 16 inches of paper
- Close the printer cover firmly until you hear a click
Adjusting Paper Thickness
The printer may require adjustments depending on the thickness of your receipt paper.
- Turn printer power on
- Open printer cover
- Locate the green paper thickness lever
- Set lever to the left for thin paper or right for thicker 1-ply paper
- Close printer cover
Print a test receipt and check that paper is feeding correctly.
Configuring Printer Settings
Your software and drivers will install default settings, but you may need to adjust configurations for your setup:
- Windows Printer Properties – Adjust color, quality, page settings
- EpsonNet Config – Set up network connections
- Windows Devices and Printers – Change default printer, print preferences
- POS System Settings – Configure receipt formatting, print options
Refer to your POS software guides for details on integrating printers.
Performing a Nozzle Check
It’s recommended to run a nozzle check after setup to verify all parts are functioning:
- Turn off printer
- Hold down the FEED button
- Press the POWER button and keep both pressed
- Release the POWER button only
- Press FEED to print the nozzle check pattern
- Confirm test prints correctly without gaps
Your Epson TM-T20II is now all set up for POS printing! Be sure to refer to the manuals for hardware specs, troubleshooting tips, and maintenance instructions.
- Unpack all printer components including cables, power supply and documentation
- Connect interface cables first, then attach the AC power cord
- Install necessary Epson drivers and utilities from the software CD
- Load the thermal paper roll properly under the cover
- Adjust paper thickness lever based on paper weight
- Configure settings in both printer properties and POS system
- Run nozzle check to confirm printer is in working order
Following these steps will ensure your Epson TM-T20II is setup correctly and ready for retail receipt printing.
Installing the affordable and user-friendly Epson TM-T20II thermal receipt printer is simple when you follow the proper set up sequence. After physically connecting the power and interface cables, installing the required drivers and utilities prepares your computer to print. Loading specialty thermal paper, adjusting rollers and software configurations completes the Epson TM-T20II installation. Refer to the printer’s manuals and documentation for full specifications and usage instructions. With regular cleaning and minor maintenance, this compact printer will reliably handle all of your retail POS receipt printing needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What papers can I use with the Epson TM-T20II?
The printer uses specialty thermal paper rolls that are 3.15 inches wide. Epson recommends using their TM-T20II thermal paper for optimal printing results.
- How do I load external roll paper?
An external roll paper holder allows using full-sized thermal paper rolls. Install the holder by removing the printer cover and attaching the holder with screws. Feed the paper through the guides before locking the roll in place.
- Does the TM-T20II support carbon copy receipts?
Yes, the TM-T20II can print dual color, carbon copy receipts by installing a separate ink film ribbon cartridge. Open the printer cover to insert the ribbon in the correct position.
- How can I connect the printer via WiFi instead of Ethernet?
You will need to purchase a compatible WiFi adapter such as the Epson 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter. Connect the adapter to the USB host port and configure the WiFi connection using EpsonNet Config tools.
- My printer is not detecting the Ethernet connection, what should I check?
Verify that the network cable is securely connected, the hub or router indicates a proper connection and confirm lights on the Ethernet interface are displaying normally. Also try testing with a different Ethernet cable.
- Do I need to install any fonts to print receipts?
The printer comes with preinstalled bitmap fonts. You only need to install additional fonts if printing other formats like barcodes that require special fonts. Compatible font packs are available from Epson.
- How can I enable wireless printing on the TM-T20II?
Purchase the Epson wireless adapter and connect it to the USB host port on the back of the printer. Run the adapter installation software, then configure network settings in EpsonNet Config utilities to enable wireless printing.
- What interface options exist for connecting the printer?
The Epson TM-T20II supports USB 2.0 and fast Ethernet interfaces for connectivity. Wireless printing is an option by installing a compatible Wi-Fi adapter to the USB host port using Epson adapter cables.
- My paper is jamming during printing, what should I do?
Open the printer cover and carefully remove any jammed paper. Verify the paper thickness lever position is set correctly for the loaded paper. Clean any dust or debris inside and check that the rollers move freely before reloading paper.
- How do I check the status of consumable parts like ink?
You can monitor the status of printer consumables like paper and ink ribbon using the Epson Status Monitor software included on the drivers CD. This allows proactively ordering replacements before they run out.
- What emulation modes are supported by the TM-T20II?
This printer includes native support for ESC/POSTM and Epson Raster emulation modes to maximize compatibility with a wide range of POS systems. There is also a Custom emulation mode option.
- Can I print receipts wider than 3.15 inches?
No, the maximum print width is 3.15 inches using the built-in thermal paper roll holder. You can print wider formats up to 4.5 inches using an optional external roll paper holder.
- Why does my printer make noises during printing?
The TM-T20II includes an audible alert system that sounds alerts for certain events. Paper out and cover open alerts make noise by default. You can configure other alert and optional buzzer settings in your printer software utility.
- How do I configure network settings to use my Epson TM-T20II printer?
Use the EpsonNet Config network configuration software included on your drivers and utilities CD. Navigate to the EpsonNet Print Port menu and Wizard to choose Add Printer and setup your network printing queues.
- Can I mount the TM-T20II printer vertically?
Yes, included mounting brackets allow installing the printer vertically. Attach the plates securely using provided screws before mounting. You can rotate printing orientation 90 or 180 degrees via driver settings.
- What type of power source does the Epson TM-T20II use?
The printer requires an AC power input voltage between 100 – 240 VAC at 50/60 Hz frequency. Always use a properly grounded power source for safety.
- Why does the printer make a rattling sound when printing receipts?
A slight rattling noise is normal and indicates the thermal print head moving across the paper. If loud grinding or screeching sounds occur, then the printer rollers or head may require cleaning or replacement from extensive use.
- How can I factory reset or restore default settings on the TM-T20II?
With the printer power off, simultaneously press the paper feed and pause buttons while turning the printer on. Hold for at least 5 seconds to reset interfaces, clear data buffers and restore factory configurations.