The Nintendo Switch error code 9001-2471 indicates that there is an issue with the console being able to connect to the Nintendo eShop. This error can prevent you from downloading games, buying games digitally, and updating your system. Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to fix error code 9001-2471 on your Nintendo Switch.
Troubleshoot Your Internet Connection
The first step in resolving error code 9001-2471 is to troubleshoot your internet connection. Here are some tips:
- Restart your network devices – Unplug your modem/router for 30 seconds and then plug back in. This will refresh the connection. Also try rebooting your Switch.
- Check connection status – Go to System Settings > Internet on your Switch. Run a connection test to see if you can connect. Also try connecting another device to your network to see if the issue is Switch-specific.
- Check for firmware updates – Your router, modem, or Switch may need a firmware update. Check the manufacturer website.
- Try a different network – See if you can connect if you try a different wifi network or use a wired connection. This helps determine if the issue is your network.
- Inspect network settings – Make sure the time zone, MTU settings, and DNS are set correctly in your network settings. An incorrect MTU can prevent connections.
- Power cycle modem/router – Unplug the power from your networking equipment for one minute. Then plug back in and let devices reconnect. This can clear any network issues.
- Check provider status – Search for the status page of your internet provider to see if there are any known outages in your area that could affect connectivity.
Once you’ve verified your network connection is working properly, you can move on to other solutions. Connectivity issues are the most common cause of error 9001-2471.
Perform a Power Cycle
If you’ve confirmed the internet connection is fine, try power cycling your Nintendo Switch:
- Fully power off your Switch by holding the power button for 3 seconds and selecting Power Options > Turn Off
- Disconnect the AC adapter from both the Switch and electrical outlet.
- Wait 30 seconds to fully discharge.
- Plug the AC adapter back into the wall and dock.
- Power your Switch back on and try connecting to the eShop again.
Power cycling helps reset the cache and system files that can get corrupted and cause system errors like 9001-2471.
Check eShop Server Status
It’s also possible the Nintendo eShop server is having problems. You can check the official Network Status page for the eShop at any time:
This will let you see if there are any known outages related to downloading games, in-game purchases, or network services. If the eShop seems to be undergoing maintenance, try again later.
Delete Update Data
Error code 9001-2471 is sometimes caused by corrupted update data:
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Manage Software
- Select your game that is getting the error
- Delete any update data files
- Launch the game and redownload any updates
This will remove any partially downloaded or corrupt updates that may be causing conflicts with connecting to the eShop.
Initialize Your Switch (Without Deleting Save Data)
If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, try initializing your Switch without deleting save data:
- Go to System Settings > System > Formatting Options
- Select Initialize Console Without Deleting Save Data
- This will reset your Switch and system software to factory default
- Go through the system setup process again
- Sign back into your Nintendo account
- Try connecting to the eShop again
This initialization can fix software errors causing the 9001-2471 code. However, your save data will remain intact so you don’t lose game progress.
Delete All Content and Initialize
The nuclear option is to delete all content and settings on your Switch, which will completely reinstall the system firmware:
- Go to System Settings > System > Formatting Options
- Select Initialize Console
This will delete all data, settings, and software from the system memory
- Proceed through the prompts to confirm deletion
- The system will reset to factory defaults
- Go through the system setup process
- Sign in to your Nintendo account and re-download games/updates
- Try connecting to the eShop again
This process will wipe your device and require reinstalling all software. Only do this if none of the above solutions work and you have exhausted all other options. Back up any save data you want to keep.
Contact Nintendo Support
If no user solutions have resolved error code 9001-2471, you should contact Nintendo Support:
- Call 1-800-255-3700
- Chat online via Nintendo Support website
- Visit a local Nintendo Service Center
Nintendo tech support can further troubleshoot and may request you send in your Switch for repair if they identify a hardware issue causing the error.
Make sure to explain any steps you’ve already tried when you contact them. Nintendo can typically resolve error 9001-2471 once they identify the underlying cause.
Preventing Error Code 9001-2471 In The Future
Here are some tips to avoid Nintendo Switch error 9001-2471 going forward:
- Keep your Switch and network devices updated with latest firmware
- Use a wired internet connection for faster speeds
- Don’t let your Switch battery fully drain to avoid corruption issues
- Close any suspended software before powering off
- Allow eShop downloads to fully complete before turning off Switch
- Clear persistent storage cache occasionally in System Settings
- Backup your Switch data and settings in case you need to initialize
Following best practice for using and maintaining your Nintendo Switch can help minimize errors in general. But if you do encounter 9001-2471 again, this guide will help you quickly resolve it.
- Error code 9001-2471 relates to connecting to the Nintendo eShop
- Troubleshoot your internet and check server status first
- Try power cycling the Switch and deleting corrupted data
- Initialize the console if needed as a last resort
- Contact Nintendo support if issue persists for further help
- Stability updates and proper Switch maintenance helps avoid this error
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does my Nintendo Switch have error code 9001-2471?
The most common cause of error 9001-2471 is an unstable internet connection preventing the Switch from accessing the Nintendo eShop. Corrupted data or firmware bugs can also trigger this error.
- How can I fix error code 9001-2471 on my own?
Try troubleshooting your internet connection, power cycling the Switch, deleting update data, and initializing the console without deleting save data. This resolves the issue for most users.
- Will initializing my Nintendo Switch delete all my game data?
You have two initialization options – one that keeps your saved game data and one that erases everything. Try the non-destructive option first before wiping your device.
- Why does my Switch keep getting error 9001-2471 even after initializing?
If initializing your Switch didn’t resolve the issue, there may be a persistent hardware or software problem. Contact Nintendo support for further troubleshooting.
- I keep getting 9001-2471 when downloading game updates. How can I fix this?
Deleting old update data and redownloading fresh files may resolve this. Also check your internet connection stability when downloading large updates.
- Can third party docks cause Nintendo Switch error code 9001-2471?
Yes, using unsupported or faulty docks can cause connectivity issues leading to error 9001-2471. Use the official Nintendo Switch dock.
- My Switch won’t connect to any Wi-Fi network after getting code 9001-2471. What should I do?
If your Switch can’t connect to any network, try power cycling your Switch, modem, and router. Also make sure firmware, DNS, and network settings are correct.
- I tried everything but still have error 9001-2471. Is my Switch bricked?
The Switch is likely not bricked unless you see a blank/unresponsive screen. Keep working with Nintendo support – they can typically resolve even persistent 9001-2471 errors.
- Why does my Switch get error code 9001-2471 when trying to access the eShop but games work fine online?
There may be an issue specific to the eShop and not general online connectivity. Try clearing your cache or initializing without deleting save data.
- Can I just get a new Nintendo Switch if I can’t fix error 9001-2471?
You could purchase a new console, but your Nintendo account will still run into this error when connecting online. Work with Nintendo to fully resolve on your current device first.
- Is error code 9001-2471 something I can fix myself or do I need to contact Nintendo?
Simple solutions like checking your internet may resolve it. But for persistent issues, contact Nintendo Support to investigate and troubleshoot further.
- Does error 9001-2471 mean my Switch is hacked or banned from online?
Not necessarily – this error is most often caused by network and software issues. A banned console will display a more explicit restriction message.
- I get code 9001-2471 when trying to purchase an item from the eShop. How can I buy games?
There may be a temporary eShop issue. Try again later or purchase games from Nintendo’s website instead until the error is fixed.
- What information should I have ready when contacting Nintendo about error 9001-2471?
Have your Switch serial , Nintendo account info, detailed error description, and any troubleshooting steps you’ve tried ready to share with Nintendo support.
- Can I prevent error code 9001-2471 by using a wired internet connection?
Yes, using wired internet instead of wifi can improve stability and avoid wireless interference that may contribute to 9001-2471 errors.
- My Nintendo Switch error code changed from 9001-2471 to a different code. Is this progress?
Potentially. Nintendo error codes can change as issues evolve during troubleshooting. Make note of any new codes you see and share with Nintendo support.
- I tried initializing my Nintendo Switch but error code 9001-2471 came back. What now?
Persistent issues after initializing likely indicate a hardware problem. You may need to send your Switch in to Nintendo for repair in this instance.
- Is there a way to fix error code 9001-2471 without losing all my Switch game data?
Yes, try initializing without deleting save data first. This may resolve the software issue without erasing your progress.
- Can Nintendo Support fix error code 9001-2471 remotely or do I need to send my Switch?
They can often resolve remotely after troubleshooting, but may request your device for diagnosis and repair if they suspect a hardware fault.
Error code 9001-2471 can certainly be frustrating, but fortunately there are a number of ways you can attempt to resolve this eShop connectivity issue on your Nintendo Switch. Double check your internet connection and eShop server status first before trying more involved solutions like power cycling, reinstalling data, or initializing the console. Contact Nintendo support if the problem persists after trying self-help fixes. With the right troubleshooting steps, you’ll hopefully be back to enjoying your Switch online services and gaming in no time.