Blade and Soul is a popular free-to-play MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) developed by NCSOFT. As with any online game, Blade and Soul players can occasionally encounter different error codes that prevent them from playing the game properly. One common error that players may receive is Error Code 4049.
If you have received Error Code 4049 in Blade and Soul, don’t worry – this error can often be easily fixed with a few simple troubleshooting steps. In this comprehensive guide, we will explain what Error Code 4049 is, why you may be receiving it, and most importantly, provide step-by-step instructions to help you fix Error Code 4049 so you can get back to playing Blade and Soul.
What is Error Code 4049 in Blade and Soul?
Error Code 4049 in Blade and Soul indicates that the game client has lost connection to the game server. There are a few potential reasons why this error occurs:
- Your internet connection has been disrupted or lost connectivity.
- There are issues with the Blade and Soul game servers.
- There is a problem with your computer’s network settings or firewall blocking the game.
- Your antivirus or security software is blocking the game client.
- Corrupt game files on your computer.
So in summary, Error Code 4049 means that for some reason your Blade and Soul game client is unable to maintain a stable connection with the Blade and Soul game servers.
The good news is this error can often be easily fixed by troubleshooting your network connection, adjusting your computer settings, or re-installing the game. Follow the steps below to resolve Error Code 4049.
Step 1 – Check your Internet Connection
The first thing to check whenever you receive any connection error in an online game is your own internet connection.
- Make sure that your router, modem, wifi network, cables and network hardware are all working correctly without any outages.
- Run a speed test to check for any drops or lags in your internet speeds.
- If you are on a wireless connection, try moving closer to your wifi router or connecting via wired ethernet instead.
- Restart your router and modem to refresh the connection.
- Check if any other devices on the same network can access the internet properly.
Ideally you want a minimum of 3Mbps download and 1Mbps upload speed to maintain a stable connection in Blade and Soul, with lower latencies being better. If your own internet connection checks out, you can move on to the next steps.
Step 2 – Restart Your Computer and Game Client
One quick fix you can try is to simply restart both your computer and the Blade and Soul game client.
- Fully shut down Blade and Soul and make sure it is closed out of your system tray/task bar.
- Restart your computer. This will flush out any errors, release network resources, and reload all connections from scratch.
- Launch Blade and Soul again and see if Error 4049 persists.
Restarting can clear out many temporary glitches, network conflicts, and memory issues that may be causing problems connecting.
Step 3 – Check Server Status
Another possibility is that there are issues on NCSOFT’s side with the Blade and Soul servers.
- Check the Official Blade and Soul Server Status Page and see if there are any reported issues or maintenance downtimes.
- You can also check the Blade and Soul Twitter which will often post updates on any server outages.
If the Blade and Soul servers themselves are down for maintenance or issues, then you will have to wait until NCSOFT resolves the problem on their end. This is usually resolved fairly quickly.
Step 4 – Flush DNS and Renew IP
Flushing your DNS cache and renewing your IP address is a common way to fix connectivity issues:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator
- Type ipconfig /flushdns
- Hit Enter. This clears your DNS cache.
- Next type ipconfig /renew
- Hit Enter. This will renew your IP address.
- Go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS
- Click the minus button to remove any listed DNS Servers
- Click Okay, Apply, then Restart your network connection.
After flushing DNS and renewing IP, launch Blade and Soul again to see if Error 4049 is resolved.
Step 5 – Adjust Firewall and Security Software
Overly restrictive firewalls and security programs can sometimes block your game client’s ability to connect to the Blade and Soul servers.
Try temporarily disabling your firewall and security software to see if this fixes Error 4049:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security
- Click on Firewall & Network Protection
- Click on Private Network and set to Off
Windows Security Software
- Temporarily disable any Antivirus, Internet Security or Network Security programs.
- You can often do this from the system tray icon or main menu of the security program.
- Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy
- Click Firewall Options
- Set Firewall to Off
Mac Security Software
- Temporarily disable any security programs on your Mac.
Once disabled, launch Blade and Soul again. If Error 4049 is now gone, you know your security software was the issue. You can re-enable it afterwards and manually add exceptions for Blade and Soul.
Step 6 – Reinstall/Repair Blade and Soul
If you have tried all other troubleshooting steps, the last resort is to reinstall or repair your Blade and Soul client files which may have become corrupted:
- Uninstall Blade and Soul from your system.
- Restart your computer.
- Re-download the game client installer from the Official Website.
- Before installing, run the installer as Administrator.
- Reinstall the game fresh.
Alternatively, you can try using the “Repair” option in the NCSOFT launcher which checks and replaces any corrupted game files without fully reinstalling.
This should replace any corrupted files that may be causing connectivity issues leading to Error Code 4049.
In summary, Error Code 4049 indicates a lost connection between your Blade and Soul client and the game servers. This can often be fixed by troubleshooting your network, restarting your system, adjusting firewalls, or reinstalling the game.
Some key things to try:
- Check your own internet connection and router.
- Restart computer and game client.
- Check Blade and Soul server status for any outages.
- Flush DNS and renew IP address.
- Temporarily disable firewalls and security software.
- Reinstall or repair game files.
Following these steps should help you isolate the cause of Error Code 4049 and correct it so you can reconnect back to the servers. Persistence and systematically working through each fix will usually resolve this error for good.
We hope this guide gives you the tools to swiftly fix Error Code 4049 should it happen again in the future. Now get back in the game!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I keep getting Blade and Soul Error Code 4049?
Error Code 4049 usually appears when there is an issue with your internet connection preventing the game from connecting to the servers properly. Check for network outages, weak wifi signals, ISP problems etc.
- How can I fix Error Code 4049 permanently?
The only permanent fix is to identify and resolve the root cause – this may be firewall settings, antivirus software conflicts, corrupt game files etc and adjusting settings accordingly.
- Does Error Code 4049 mean Blade and Soul is down?
Not necessarily. Error 4049 is on your end connecting to the servers. However, you can check the server status page in case there is maintenance.
- Can using a VPN fix Blade and Soul Error 4049?
Using a VPN can sometimes resolve connection issues leading to Error 4049 by routing your network traffic through a different path. So yes, try connecting through a VPN.
- Should I reinstall Blade and Soul to fix Error 4049?
A clean reinstall of the Blade and Soul client will replace any corrupted game files that may be causing Error 4049. Try this if other troubleshooting has not worked.
- How can I contact Blade and Soul support for Error 4049?
You can visit the official Blade and Soul technical support site and submit a ticket describing your 4049 error. Support staff can further help troubleshoot.
- What ports does Blade and Soul use?
Blade and Soul uses ports 80, 443, 2300-2400, 3724, 6112, 8000-8021. Check these ports are open on your router/firewall.
- Why does Blade and Soul disconnect with Error 4049?
Error 4049 means the game client has lost connection with the server. This disconnection is usually due to network issues or firewalls blocking the game.
- Is there maintenance when Error 4049 shows?
Possibly, but Error 4049 itself is on your end. Check the server status page for any maintenance downtimes when you get this error.
- How long does Blade and Soul Error 4049 last?
Error 4049 will persist until you fix the underlying connection problem – this may be a temporary network outage or a firewall misconfiguration requiring a quick fix.
- Does closing launcher fix Error 4049 Blade and Soul?
Fully closing the NCSOFT launcher and game client then relaunching can sometimes clear Error 4049 if it’s a temporary glitch.
- Is Error 4049 the same as lag?
No, lag and high latency is due to network issues during gameplay. Error 4049 means you cannot even initially connect to the Blade and Soul servers.
- What happens if I can’t fix Blade and Soul Error 4049?
If the error persists after troubleshooting your network, firewalls, reinstalling the game etc, you may need to contact Blade and Soul support for further help.
- Why does Error 4049 happen randomly?
If Error 4049 is random/intermittent, it is likely due to unstable internet connection problems causing temporary disconnects from Blade and Soul servers.
- Can my internet cause Blade and Soul Error 4049?
Yes, any issues with your internet connection like drops, lags, congestion etc can interrupt the connection to Blade and Soul and trigger Error 4049.
- Will restarting router fix Error 4049?
Restarting your modem and router can clear any unstable connections or network conflicts that may be interrupting the connection to Blade and Soul servers.
- Does Error 4049 mean banned from Blade and Soul?
No, Error 4049 has nothing to do with being banned. It is a connection issue between your client and the Blade and Soul game servers.
- Why does ping spike cause Error 4049?
Large ping spikes can momentarily disrupt your network connection, which causes you to lose connectivity with the Blade and Soul server, resulting in 4049 errors.
- Can too many devices cause Blade and Soul Error 4049?
Possibly – too many devices using your home internet connection can congest the network and interrupt the connection to Blade and Soul.
- Does closing other apps fix Error 4049
Closing other network-connected apps can help rule out programs interfering with Blade and Soul. But 4049 is usually due to broader network issues.